Monday, October 11, 2010

5th, 6th, and 7th nights out and 1st Bear Encounter! (10-8-10 to 10-10-10)


(Shown in the picture above is my portable stand on one of the trees that remained upright after a tornado hit our hunting area this past summer)

  
   It was finally Friday and time to hit the woods... or should I say the swamp.  During the week, I had my dad relocate our trail camera to the swamp.  He placed the camera in a location about 50 yards from an old field and between a known deer bedding area and our food plots.  I figured since the deer would be coming out later and later I might as well meet them half way and move into the swamp!  All three nights had temperatures in the 70's and no wind.

     That very first night, there were 2 pictures taken on the camera.  The deer in the picture appeared to be non other then the Sticker buck!  Not having a picture since 9-12-10 of the sticker buck was making me wonder if he was still hanging around or living in a neighboring area.  (I currently have 20 pictures of the photogenic Sticker buck)     

    



Friday Night

     Friday night was my first night in the swamp this year and I chose to sit in a stand where my uncle shot a nice 8 pointer during the 2009 muzzle loader season. I was sitting in a box stand but made sure I could shoot my bow any direction needed. 

 (pictured at left is my uncle Bruce Becker with his nice 8pt muzzle loader buck from 09')

     I only saw one deer but it was getting so dark outside I couldn't even tell if it was a buck or doe.  I decided to come back earlier the next day to set up my portable stand and try my luck.



Saturday Night

     I got to the swamp and was all set up by 5:15 (picture of my stand is on the top of this post).  Tonight I saw two deer but again it was getting dark and they never came out of the brush.  I also had a little excitement when an Owl landed on a tree 10 yards away from me (shown in the picture to the right).  I decided to try again the next night and hope with a little less commotion the deer would be a little more active.



Sunday Night

    Sunday night was one of those nights I will never forget.  I got into my stand quietly and with no wind, I could hear anything that moved.  Again not much was happening except for the continuous movement of squirrels and the beating sounds made from grouse.  Night was beginning to set in and I could hear twigs and sticks breaking out in the swamp.  Soon, a dark figure appeared and walked across a part of the swamp angling towards me.  Still at 25 yards away I could not make out the dark figure to be a deer.  Deciding to call it a night, I turned on my headlamp and shined it in the direction of the figure.  After another few steps it stopped and looked at me again..... It was a bear!  I was shocked, not only had I went bear hunting near Park Rapids 10 nights last year without seeing a bear, but this area was not known for bear hunting!  

   With one week left in the bear season, I'm going to set some baits and see if he will come in!   I will also set my trail camera over the bait to hopefully get a picture or two.  Soon we will find out if he is still around, or if he was just meandering through the area.


Speaking of Bears!!!




    Recently, my good friends dad Ken Peltier shot this black bear with his bow near Park Rapids.  The bears weight is estimated at 300 lbs.  While bear baiting, Ken and my father David Rud jumped a bear off of one of the baits. Ken has now shot a bear with a rifle, muzzle loader, and a bow... What next Ken?  A sling-shot!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment