Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First Night Out 9/19/2010

View from my portable stand on the south field edge


     Bow hunting opened last weekend for Minnesota and I managed to hit the stands for the Sunday evening hunt.  It was a nice night for hunting with a slight breeze and temperatures in the 50's - 60's.  I chose to hunt one of my portables along the south edge of our main field where most of the trail camera pictures have been taken.  There seems to be a nice funnel where the deer follow the switch grass from the south to the alfalfa field in the picture above.  When the deer do this, they often present a less then 30 yard shot with many walking past at 10 to 20 yards.  There is also corn planted further to the East which is sheltered by woods on two sides.



     The first deer I saw appeared in the middle of the field around 5:45 P.M.  About an hour later more deer started appearing.  The doe in the picture above walked out about 25 yards in front of me before making her way further into the alfalfa.  Not to long after, a small spike buck came out right behind her (Picture below).



As the light began to fade there were 11-12 deer on and off the field.  The only buck I saw was that little spike buck.  Pictured below is one of the fawns that wandered within 25 yards of my stand.



     I plan to get back on stand this Friday night and hope to hunt Saturday and Sunday evening as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment